Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sea monster or canape? You decide...

I just had a supper which consisted of two prawns. Two. And a tiny portion of pasta. And it was by no means too little.

I thought I had seen most sizes of prawn, or at least close to, but holy shit. I have never seen anything like these things. Not even in the realm of. Between the two of them, they barely fit on my plate! They were more like small lobsters than prawns, except completely prawn-shaped (no claws or anything). The heads were awesome, too - they'd been severed from the bodies very neatly, and took up my entire bread plate when I removed them from the main dish. They were full of feelers, almost like Chinese dragons. It was actually a little disconcerting at first, having these two giant, whiskered heads staring up at me while I ate. Then, after a while, I stopped being disconcerted and began to feel a bit sorry instead, that these magnificent beasts were lying on my plate in a heap of chopped aubergine and fettuccine, rather than swimming around being proud crustaceans on the ocean floor. Not sorry enough to stop eating, though.

And that's it for now. I'm fairly sure that no one in Europe will actually believe me about the size of these things, so I have half a mind to order them through room service at some point, and take a picture with a DVD box or something for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment